Trigger point injections are used to treat myofascial pain, myalgia, tension headaches, and muscle pain of the shoulders and neck. When muscles can’t relax, they form trigger points, or knots incredibly painful and sensitive to touch. Injecting small doses of steroids, Botox or anesthetic into the muscle helps to relieve the pain.
Trigger Point Injections are performed by a certified massage therapist using sterile needles only. The treatment is quick, easy and very effective for most people who have trigger points in their muscles. Trigger point injections help to release the tension in your muscles allowing them to relax again.
Trigger point injections are recommended for anyone who has been experiencing muscle pain for more than two weeks or has recently been diagnosed with chronic pain conditions such as fibromyalgia (FMS), osteoarthritis (OA), tendonitis etc.).
Trigger point injection (TPI) is a type of massage that targets specific muscles through the injection of local anesthetic into muscle tissue. The treatment is used to treat a wide range of muscular problems, including shoulder and neck pain, lower back pain, and tension headaches. TPI is also used to treat fibromyalgia and myofascial pain syndrome (chronic pain involving tissue that surrounds muscles).
As the name implies, trigger point injections are used to target localized muscle spasms or contractions in muscles. These areas may be painful because they are being overworked or because they are injured. The pain may also be caused by poor circulation or nerve irritation.
TPI treatments can be performed on your own body or with a trained professional at a clinic or physical therapy office. The procedure entails injecting local anesthetic into specific trigger points in your muscles using an ultrasound machine. For some people this treatment may help with chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia, but there’s still not enough evidence yet to prove its effectiveness for those types of conditions.
Trigger point injections are the treatment of choice for myofascial pain syndrome because they provide immediate and long- lasting relief. DreamWork Professionals are highly skilled and experienced trigger point injection McKinney, TX .Trigger points can develop in any muscle, but the most common muscle groups that are treated with trigger point injections include:
1. The muscles of the jaw are the masseter, levator scapulae, gluteus medius and quadratus lumborum. The pectoralis major (a muscle in your chest) and trapezius (the muscle extending over your neck) also play a role in this area.
2. The levator scapulae is a muscle on the sides of your neck or Neck trigger point that helps you raise your head (Headache relief).
3. The pectoralis major is a muscle in your chest that flexes and extends the shoulder joint.
4. The trapezius is a muscle extending across the back of your neck and shoulders or Shoulder trigger point that helps with arm movement.
5. The sternocleidomastoid is a muscle in front of your neck that moves up and down when you talk or smile.
6. The temporalis muscles are located on either side of your head, just behind your ears.
During the procedure, our team at Dreamwork Infusion and Wellness Center will have you sit or lie down. To locate the pain, they will press on the muscle. They may use ultrasound to guide them to the ideal injection point. Next, a small needle containing medicine will be injected into the trigger point site.
Trigger Point Injections are incredibly safe and should not lead to any adverse reactions, and are known to increase the efficiency of physical therapy programs. Dreamwork Infusion and Wellness center accepts most types of insurance for Trigger Point Injections.
To learn more about Trigger Point Injections, call Dreamwork Infusion and Wellness Center today or request an appointment online.